The live, small group California bar exam
review course that works.
The Small Group California Bar Review Course...we're different
Personal Bar Prep is not like any other bar review course you’re going to find. We don’t rely on bells and whistles to make up for interaction with an actual person. We actually teach.
- Our small group California bar review course centers on twice-weekly intensive, interactive essay writing workshops, conducted online using Zoom. During these sessions, you’ll work closely with your instructor, experienced bar exam tutor Jay Chavkin, in a small group setting going over essays and learning strategies in a structured, supportive learning environment.
- You’ll attend 7 MBE workshops, each one in an interactive Zoom session. Jay will go over MBE homework you’ve been assigned, discussing why the right answers are correct and wrong answers are incorrect. These sessions will address all the best practices for answering MBE questions.
- You’ll also attend live online lectures focused on just what you need to know for the bar exam. These are condensed lectures, filled with real-life examples, and our students are always welcome to ask questions.
- Our performance test workshop will thoroughly prepare you to conquer this portion of the exam.
- During the course, you’ll write lots of practice essays and exams that regularly receive grades and plenty of thoughtful feedback from our graders.
- Perhaps best of all, you can call, text or email your instructor at any time with questions or just to get some words of support. We keep our enrollment low so we get to know all of our students. You’ll never find yourself alone as you face this challenge.
- Finally, we provide everything you’ll need to learn the law, prepare for the exam and practice. All books, outlines, MBE questions for practice, a set of physical flashcards, a detailed schedule to guide your study, unlimited graded essays—it’s all included.
Nothing is left to chance. Everything is student-centered and relies on proven teaching and learning practices. Personal Bar Prep has been preparing students to pass the California bar for over 25 years and we can help you, too.
We've Helped Students Reach Their Goal For Over 25 Years
Passing the bar exam isn't easy. No great achievement is.
Every bar exam, I'm excited to see my students overcome obstacles of all kinds and walk into the exam with confidence.
Nothing is more thrilling than the calls on the night of bar exam results from my students excited that they passed, some of them after multiple attempts before.
I love telling my students that they are a statistic of one. Ignore the rest. You can do this.
Our Learning-By-Doing Approach Works
Personal Bar Prep focuses on practice and feedback. We believe teaching matters. And we know that engaging with the material leads to real learning.
You will write bar essays and answer MBE questions weekly for homework then discuss your work in workshops with your instructor. Practice essays you turn in will be returned quickly with thoughtful feedback. The hard work will pay off when you go into the exam with confidence.
Don't Just Take Our Word For It...
Some Common Questions...
We are currently enrolling students for the February 2022 bar review course. Early study begins in November. The course officially begins in December and will run until mid-February. Our course is completely live and all meetings are held on Zoom. Please call for details.
All necessary materials are sent to you by mail when you enroll and pay your deposit. You will receive:
- a small group workbook
- a practice essay book with over 150 actual bar essays and sample answers
- a complete and concise outline book
- a full set of MBE & California subject flashcards
In addition, we also send our students digital copies of:
- all of our books
- 1000’s of MBE questions–you will never run out of questions to practice
- a complete set of rule statements for every subject on the bar exam
- a list of bar exam mnemonics to assist your memorization of the rules of law
We give our students a detailed study schedule that guides them through their essay writing assignments, MBE questions and practice performance tests. It has built-in flexibility that allows for work, family and personal health differences.
Absolutely. We work with many students who work full-time and they’re successful. We do all we can to provide flexibility by offering lectures on weekends and small group workshop sessions at night. While practice is the key to success, we help students prioritize their tasks so those with limited time can maximize those precious hours.
Yes, our business actually began as a private tutoring service and quickly developed into a small group centered bar review course. Jay Chavkin has been a bar exam tutor since 1995 working with students in intensive online sessions. He also offers private tutoring sessions to students enrolled in the bar review course who want extra attention at a discounted rate. Click here for more information.
We offer a payment plan that breaks your tuition into three payments after your deposit. We also take payment by all credit cards, Venmo, Zelle and PayPal. We offer group discounts and a discount for members of the military and veterans. Please inquire for details.
We are the original personal small group bar review course.
We've helped 1000's of students pass the California bar exam
and we can help you, too.
Because our bar prep course is small, space is limited. Don’t delay.
Contact us today so we can talk about your specific challenges and how we can get you on track towards realizing your dreams.