You can pass the California bar exam.
An experienced bar exam tutor can help you get there.
Preparing to take the California bar exam is tough.
A bar exam tutor can make all the difference.
Working one-on-one with an experienced and dedicated California bar exam tutor can provide the individualized program of study and the structure you need to pass the toughest bar exam in the country. Jay Chavkin has been helping students like you pass the California bar exam for 28 years.
Jay Chavkin of Personal Bar Prep is a California bar exam tutor with over 27 years of experience helping hundreds of students pass the bar exam. Jay will work with you much like a personal trainer for the California bar exam.
He begins by evaluating your individual challenges and weak areas in writing and knowledge of the law and then tackles them with you in intensive collaborative sessions. You’ll work together with Jay on essays and MBE questions and Jay provides strategies and guidance for your study and practice.
Importantly, Jay is always available for questions or a quick pep talk whenever you call, text or send an email. He takes an interest in all of his students and their individual concerns as they go through the stress of preparing for the bar exam and will be available for support from the initial evaluation to the nervousness of the week before bar results.
Schedules are arranged based upon student needs and availability. Meetings are conducted using Zoom so your work with Jay is convenient no matter where you’re located. All necessary books and study materials are included–and you are welcome to attend our bar review course lectures all of which are streamed live online using Zoom.
Jay Chavkin has worked with hundreds of students over the past 25 years and has extensive experience helping people with a wide range of issues leading them to a private bar exam tutor:
- Multiple repeat takers of the exam
- Attorneys preparing for the California attorneys’ bar exam
- Foreign-educated attorneys and LLM students
- Graduates from out-of-state law schools
- Those out of law school for an extended period
- Students with learning disabilities
- Students with physical or mental illness that affects their studies
- Individuals with test anxiety
Students with Disabilities
Jay has successfully tutored students with a broad range of learning disabilities and other conditions, helping them to tackle the challenges they face with a positive, patient and structured approach. He is an approved vendor for the state Department of Rehabilitation as a bar review provider and bar exam tutor.
As a California bar exam tutor, Jay has helped students pass the bar while dealing with issues including:
- Attention Deficit Disorder / ADD
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder / ADHD
- Specific Learning Disability
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Multiple Repeat Takers
Jay has helped hundreds of repeat exam takers as a California bar exam tutor, leading them to progress from a feeling of frustration to one of confidence. Many of his students have taken the bar exam three and four times before his program–some even more–and then finally succeeded with a personalized tutoring program. He understands that every repeat taker has a unique set of circumstances that need to be addressed and will work closely with you to drill down to determine just what went wrong and how to get on track for the next exam.
If you want someone to work with you on your specific weak points, to give you personalized feedback on all aspects of the bar exam as you prepare, Jay will provide a structured study program that is tailored to your needs and will guide your progress every step of the way.
A private bar exam tutor gives you another advantage–someone who is going to care personally about your progress and provide not just the answers you need, but the encouragement that will help keep you motivated and focused. This is your time!
Foreign-Educated Attorneys / LLM Students
If you received a law degree in a country other than the U.S. and have decided to join the State Bar of California, you’ve taken on an enormous challenge and deserve tremendous respect. This is not an easy journey. Jay has worked with many of your future colleagues and understands the obstacles you face–and he knows you can overcome them and succeed. It’s just going to take tenacity and hard work.
- Jay will address the differences between the legal systems of the country of origin where your law degree was earned and the U.S.
- He will help you tackle any language issues that may affect your bar exam essay writing process
- He can provide guidance in the paperwork maze some attorneys face in dealing with the State Bar
- Jay will give you all the encouragement and support possible because the task is challenging and having someone to cheer you on and address your unique concerns will make all the difference
This is an attainable dream. Jay, a highly experienced California Bar Exam tutor, can help you reach it.
Have You Been Away from Law School for a While?
Has passing the California Bar Exam been on the back burner in your life for years? You’re not alone. Jay has worked with many of your peers—non-traditional exam takers who are perhaps changing careers, are coming back to the law after raising children, or maybe just need to cross the bar exam off their “bucket list.”
Regardless of why you’ve been away for years, Jay can help you tackle the task of getting up to speed and not just re-learning forgotten law, but sharpening those test-taking skills anew.
Jay has stories of police officers that became lawyers, of a recent widow that needed to switch gears and built a career in the law, of individuals away from law school for over a decade that were finally able to finish something that continually nagged them as unfinished. You can do it, too. It’s not easy, but you can do it, too.
Consider a bar exam tutor who will address your individual needs, provide a structured program to get you back in the habit of studying and writing, and be there to answer all of the questions that will surely arise as you return to the law. Jay will be with you every step of the way.
California Bar Tutor
- B.A. in Political Science, University of California, Berkeley, 1980
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1994
- Served on staff of the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review and clerked as a student for the late Honorable Harry Pregerson in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Passed the California bar exam on his first try and joined the California State Bar in 1995
- Worked as a research attorney at the Los Angeles Superior Court; as a civil litigator; and built a successful criminal appellate practice
- Has been tutoring students for law school and the California bar exam since 1995
- Since 2007, has been dedicated full-time to bar tutoring and administering and teaching students in his full-service California bar review course, Personal Bar Prep